Thursday, October 18, 2007

iPod + rice, oh how nice

I love my little iPod shuffle. It allows me to run to the beat, free of burdensome armbands or iSkins like I used to use, with my more mature, classic iPod. The little guy hardly weighs anything, and has a built-in clip, so you can bring your music anywhere. You can imagine how disheartened I was after discovering that the little guy was inside the pocket of a hoodie I carelessly threw into the wash when I returned from the gym one day. Together with my gym clothes, it had been jostled, drenched with water, scrubbed with detergent, and spun around quickly. By the time I realized what happened, it was too late. I opened the washing machine door, unzipped the pocket, and felt the reassuring cool metal in my hand, but feared that it had no life left in it. I tried turning it on and off, on and off, placed it carefully on its charger base overnight, stared at it and willed it to revive, but it just sat there, listless, a beautiful little piece of machinery holding 17.1 hours of music inside.

I was sad. I jumped onto the Apple website and starting searching for a replacement (ooh, they come in pretty colors now!), but I knew in my heart that nothing new could truly substitute for the fond memories of my silver iPod shuffle. Perhaps, I thought, I could take it to the Apple store nearby, where they could perform some emergency procedure to bring it back to life, if only for a short while, long enough, perhaps, for a final run and a goodbye. I called the store, explained the dire situation, and the words that flew out of the technician's mouth sounded like New Age witchcraft to me. He told me to place the little guy in a plastic bag with some rice, and just leave it for a few days. He claimed that the rice would absorb the water that had drowned the little guy during its encounter in my washing machine, and it might be revived.


In my desperation, I wanted to believe that his magic spell would work. I questioned him further: is brown rice ok? Does the brand of baggie matter? He assured me that any variety of rice might offer a cure, in any sort of bag. So, I gently placed the mute iPod into a bag with some brown rice (hey, I'm a healthy whole grain girl, living in Colorado and all) and waited. Three days later, I took it out of its bag, and voila!

It works!!
It's so great being back together. I appreciate its features even more than ever, now that it has suffered that life-altering accident. I can listen to stuff like soulico (who was here last night, which was an excellent evening for me) and rock out. Yaaay!!

14 comments:

Passionate Life said...

The rice bit does sound bizarre but congrats on the resurrection!

How did we survive before IPods???

I love my Nano!!!!

come running said...

Actually, the rice isn't so bizarre. Lots of people put rice in their salt shakers to keep the salt from sticking together by absorbing moisture.

Jon said...

Glad to hear that you iPod is back up and healthy!

The V Group Chronicles are back up too!

Enjoy
Jon

Jacob Da Jew said...

Neat trick.

VJ said...

A neat old trick. I've revived several older radios like that when they got wet. (One of which is about as old as you are, and now has duct tape over it's missing handle hole). You can do it with o bunch of that 'silica gel' tins/sachets they sell in some stores too. But good to hear of your good fortune. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

curlygirl said...

Hey, thanks everyone for your good wishes! Silica is a good idea too,good to keep in mind for future reference. . .
Jon, please post a link, I tried accessing your blog at the old URL but get a dead end.

ThirdKid4Me said...

I realize your original blog was almost a year ago but today I washed and dried my son's ipod and googled "ipod rice" (advice from a friend) and came up with your blog. I love your style of writing. I currently have the ipod in a generic baggie filled with rice and keeping my fingers crossed for revival.

Andreya said...

Hi Nice Blog .I've made up my mind: I'm gonna buy an MP3 player. I just don't know which one. I like the ipod replacement battery, but do I really need something that small?

Anonymous said...

Years later, people are still washing their ipods. :) I'm surprised you didn't fry the hardware when you turned the ipod on and even charged it when it was still wet--that's precisely what I'm afraid I did to mine. I hope the rice trick works as well for me! I found this via google. Nice entry!

curlygirl said...

Cool, it's good to know my post has been helpful to people! Believe it or not the little ipod is still up & running!

Anonymous said...

do you close the plastic bag containing rice and shuffle or leave it open? thanks!

curlygirl said...

Put in a ziplock bag and seal the top.

K8y said...

Yea i tried this with my ipod touch last nite, i was so upset when i got water in it, so i told my bf what happened and he told me to do the same thing. At first i thought he was joking, but i tried it and it works like brand new, i wish someone had of told me this before i water logged my cell phone.

HowJunction said...

You’ve thrown your shorts into the washing pile and forgotten to remove your iPod from the pocket. Now it’s gone through the washing machine.

You’re not the only one to have done this!

Follow these steps to minimise the damage and get your iPod back up and running:

1.First thing is do nothing! Do not turn your iPod on. Water within the iPod could well cause it to short-circuit, so the longer you can leave it to dry the better.
2.If you have a protective case on your iPod take it off.
3.Place the iPod in the airflow of a fan heater and set the heater temperature to low so that the air is pushed through the iPod. Test the surface temperature of the iPod to make sure it is not too hot! Fan dry for 1 hour.
4.Place the iPod in a container of dry rice and place it in the hot water cupboard for at least 24 hours. The rice absorbs excess water. Remember to not turn your iPod on throughout the drying process.
5.At the end of the drying process switch your iPod on. If you don’t get a response, place it on the charger and then retry.